Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ooey gooey goodness!

Last night I made a promise to my little Georgia in her sadness of being abandoned by neighborhood kids that I would bake her a lemon cake today. So first thing this morning I pull out the mixer and start baking with a happy Georgia declaring "YAY LEMON CAKE!!!". Upon making this cake came the decision of what frosting to make, butter-cream, lemon or my grandmothers favorite the old fashioned 7 minute frosting. I always hated 7 minute frosting growing up as it was the only frosting my grandmother ever made for any cake. When cakes rolled out I yearned for creamy butter-cream or whipped cream frosting over the marshmallowy topping that was the 7 minute. But even though history was screaming YUCK my heart was screaming nostalgia and I set out to make the frosting I remembered as a child. I threw all the ingredients into a pan, turned on the burner and broke out my hand held mixer to start the tedious task of 7 minutes of blending until those pretty peaks started forming. I must admit the idea of making 7 minute frosting has always intimidated me but I have to say it was somewhat refreshing to see those pretty white peaks form into a soft gooey mountain of marshmallow. Once I pulled that creamy goodness off the stove and added the vanilla my mouth was watering. And by the time it went on top of the cake I was having a sugar high from all the frosting that had already passed my lips because after all a good cook must sample! Of course the girls got their fair share of taste testing. I tweaked this frosting a little bit to change the texture, my grandmothers frosting always got a little crunchy film on top but I wanted my frosting to stay smooth and delightful. In the end the result was absolute perfection and I am sorry to say to my grandmother who was an expert 7 minute frosting lady that my frosting is so much better than hers. Shhhh, don't tell! Love you grandma!




For a different type of yummy frosting here is my grandmothers recipe with the cream of tarter tweak.

Blanche's 7 minute Frosting

2 egg whites
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients except for vanilla in a large sauce pot and blend with hand mixer on low speed for about 3 minutes then move the mixer to medium speed and continue. At 6 minutes add vanilla and beat on high for another minute or until peaks stand still. To tell if it is right take a spoonful of the frosting and turn it upside down. If it stays on the spoon it is perfect. Immediately frost your cake. Yields enough frosting to frost a 2 layer 9 inch cake inside and out.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin