Monday, August 30, 2010

Keeping on...?

Heaven help me this day is going so HORRIBLE. Georgia is being downright crazy with defiance with a parade of "No's" and "I can't do it's". She is trying to do anything, all she wants to do is color the worksheets instead of actually do what they say. Her behavior is just absolute insanity and I am at a loss. Such a loss I had to send her out of the classroom and down for an early nap. All I can figure is that she is tired. Does this ever happen to you and if so how do you deal with it? When we walked into the classroom this morning she was happy and ready to go but the second I started trying to get her to actually "work" our day just fell to pieces.

I am thinking I am going to stop asking her to "write". I know 3 years old is a little young for some children to write letters but she wanted to try the first few days but once she saw the effort required and started hearing her A's were not A's (I am thinking I am not supposed to LIE to her..lol) she started giving up. I don't want her to have a dislike for learning so I am thinking about just writing the A's for her on those worksheets until she is ready to take the reigns on her own because this is frustrating for all of us. She loves drawing and working on shapes. She even likes writing numbers , it is the letter that are bothering her, she will trace but do nothing but moan and hold the pencil over the lines when it comes to writing one outright. I end up spending half a lesson arguing her "I can't do it's" with "You can do it, do not say can't". It is taking away from Miriam learning time and is hurting her learning time.

I think I am going to make her a dry erase book out of photo album sheets. That way when she wants to practice she can have something readily available to do so while saving on printer ink and school supplies. Looks like it is CRAFT TIME!

post signature

Share

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up! But don't focus on her "no's" and "can'ts". That was where I went wrong last year. If it's coming to her not wanting to do it at all I would back off for a week or two and try again. One of my girls started refusing to read at the end of last year and I fought to get her to do it. As soon as I backed off she started doing it on her own.

    The best thing I did with my girls, when they were learning to write, is tell them to try their best. Then when they complete it either you, or she, can pick the one that looks the best. One of my girls used to draw a heart around the best one, the other one put a little mini sticker next to it. It changes the focus from the ones that need work to the ones she did right (or better).

    Keep at it. It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the input and advice Kristine! I have no plans of giving up, this school thing is do or die..lol I do plan on doing what you do and backing off a bit. I am hoping the dry erase board I am going to make her might motivate her to want to try writing all on her own. I will let you know how it goes! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin